“Great! Finally I can see who is viewing on my profile”. Be aware: Facebook Scam!!!
Today, E-Crime Expert presents a new “popular” Facebook-related scam. Many users (including myself) have received lately the following message, within their friends’ feeds:
“Great! Finally I can see who is viewing on my profile” (Fig. 1).
When clicking the (scam) link, this takes you directly to Facebook application installation screen (Fig. 2):
By clicking “Allow” that will enable permissions to the scammer (as shown above) . This will allow them to spam their scam messages to all of your friends’ list. Beside the annoying spam, that will allow the scammer to have access to your Facebook personal information (i.e. User’s Basic information, Post on the user’s behalf, Access any data anytime).
Continuing on with the installation redirects you to the following survey scam (Fig. 3):
It is important to remember that any Facebook application offering to you who has viewed or visited your profile is certain to be a scam.
Facebook doesn’t allow developers access to the data required to create such apps. Avoid them ALL! In fact, here are Facebook’s own help topics on the subject.
This scam aims to convince users that the application was developed by Facebook. It is advisable that anytime you see a URL in the following format you can be certain that you are dealing with a third party Facebook application:
Please note that any application having this format, IT IS NOT developed by Facebook, but by it’s partners which could happen to be scammers sometimes.
(Disclaimer: I am not claiming that all Facebook’s partners developers are scammers).
How to remove this application from accesing your personal data and stop spamming your friends’ list:
I. Clean-up your newsfeed and profile to remove the scam post. (Go under your Facebook Profile page and click the “x” in the top right hand corner of the post-Fig. 4).
II. Remove the app from your Facebook account in 4 steps:
1) Click the upper right corner->Account Settings (Fig. 5):
2) Click the “Apps” section on the left hand menu (Fig. 6):
3) On the right hand of the new page you will see listed all your applications. Chose the one you would like to delete and click the “x” on the top right side of the application, next to the “Edit” button. Please Note that I chose the HTC Sense app to illustrate this example, but you want to find and delete the app which promise you to reveal your profile’s viewers (Fig. 7):
4) You will then be promted to confirm the removal of the application. First check the box on the left corner of the window: “Delete all your…application activity on Facebook” and then click “Remove” (Fig. 8):
5) Last but not least, inform your Facebook’s Friends that this is a scam and to not click and accept the application.
If you have any question you could contact: email@example.com
Additional information can be found at: www.e-crimeexppert.com
Hit the “subscribe” button in order to be notified when new videos and Articles are posted on this blog.
- @k3rstin Hi Kerstin. Im fine thank you. Still in Brussels. Can we collaborate on any project/assignment? Best regards, Dan. 1 year ago
- 6 Essential Tips on How to Prevent Online Shopping Fraud wp.me/p1N1s0-jD 3 years ago
- Cyberbullying wp.me/p1N1s0-jz 3 years ago
- 10 Ways to Prevent Your Identity From Being Stolen wp.me/p1N1s0-jv 3 years ago
- Infographic-Privacy and Security on Facebook wp.me/p1N1s0-jp 3 years ago